Monday, August 13, 2007

What's in a Name?

She should be awake soon.
"Who knew that chloroform could have such an effect on tiny people?"
"I would say petite."
"At least you got to use your chloroform, eh, X?"
"Sure, but don't call me X."
"Fine, then tell me your real name."
I snorted. "I always tell people to call me Agent Cartwright, but they always resort to X."
"Really? Why didn't you tell me to call you Cartwright?"
"Because I knew you wouldn't listen. Agent X is sort of my identity now, anyways."
"But I mean, don't you have a first name?"
"Not one that you need to know."
"Come on, I'm your partner. We're supposed to be able to at least call each other by their first names."
I could tell by Taylor's voice that this meant a lot to him.
"Fine, you can call me whatever you like. Just, pick a decent name."
"What about, Mr. Confidentiality?" Taylor said with a twinkle in his eye.
"Are you kidding? That's worse than X."
"Relax. I was kidding. Nick! You look like a Nicholas. How about it?"
I smiled with a deeper meaning. One, that Agent Taylor could never know. "Ok, you can call me Nick."

No comments: