Saturday, December 15, 2007

Still Sleeping

"Tada! Mission accomplished." Agent Taylor exclaimed as we produced a chloroform-induced sleeping Jean Matthews to Astor. "Ah, it feels good to say that."
Taylor convinced me to let him carry Miss Matthews all the way to Astor's office, and he insisted on taking the stairs (you can bet people stared). "It makes the victory complete" The kid has a lot to learn. John just stared wide-eyed at Matthews, who was still draped over Taylor's shoulder. Taylor would keep her like that until she woke up too. I rest my case.
"Give her to me." I said as I carefully took her from William and placed Matthews on my coat that I had just layed on the floor.
"Good thinking, Nick! Man, I love calling you that."
"Is she dead?" Astor asked.
"Far from it, my friend! We found her at Bayer's division. What a break."
"But, how can that be? Agent X, you shot her in the head. She had no pulse for crying out loud!"
"I know. When she wakes up, we'll be able to question her. For right now, we should prepare some accomadations for Miss Matthews." I said.
"Right, I'm on it." William said and quickly left before either of us could reply.
"Someone's really excited about uh, mission accomplished." John said.
"I know. He's an excitable fellow, but his enthusiasm's infectous. He was helpful on the case too."
"See, he's not too bad; but what's up with him calling you Nick?"
"Don't get any ideas. He decided that I should be called something other than X, and since I don't need any other nicknames, I told him to pick out a name. It's a total coincidence he chose Nick."
"Weird, right? I guess you have that look. Anyways, I'm going to enjoy calling you something other than Agent X."
"I never liked that name. I always told you to call me Cartwright."
"Ha, I totally forgot about that, X."

No comments: