Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Of Conflicts and Plans

“Imagine what Mayhem could do with that information,” Astor said. We were in Astor’s office, giving him the report and getting our orders.
“Probably sell it to China or North Korea,” Taylor replied.
“Yeah, but he can’t do that until he perfects and collects the formula, and for that, he needs Jean.” I said.
“And you, Nick. If he knows about you, he’s going to carve you like a Thanksgiving turkey to discover the secret of rapid healing.” Taylor paused and continued, “I think both you and Matthews should be placed in witness protection.”
“Now wait a minute! I don’t need to be protected, and we don’t even know if Mayhem knows about my “incident” yet. As a matter of fact, we should place you in protective custody. If Mayhem finds you, you won’t be able to pee without someone helping you!”
“It’s not the same thing and you know it!”
“Gentlemen! Settle down.” Astor shouted. We stopped and looked at him. He continued in a soft voice, “Look, X, Taylor was just looking after your safety; and, Taylor, X has got a point there too. You, Jean, and X are all in danger, but that’s what the job’s about. You are protecting this country. Alright? Now, the only one going into witness protection is Jean; but if she’s captured, which she won’t be, X will be placed into witness protection too. We have to assume that she’ll tell Mayhem everything.”
“Don’t call me, X.” I said quietly.
“Sorry, Cartwright.”
I sighed and tried to calm myself down. I know I’m not happy about the idea of being placed in witness protection, but I’m usually not this irritable. Suddenly, I started feeling woozy. My head felt like lead as I lowered it into my hands. My eyelids felt droopy. The only thing keeping them open were my stiff fingers.
“Are you okay?” Astor and Taylor asked simultaneously.
“Yeah,” I said, “just a little tired. I think I’m going to go home and take a nap.”
“Do you need someone to drive you?” Taylor asked?
“Naw, I got it.”
“Alright, just be careful.” Astor said. “Taylor and I will finish up here.”

No comments: