Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Captured

Uggh, what happened? I was just leaving my apartment and then.... As I opened my eyes, Jean Matthews, Miller's intelligent-looking partner, stood over me. My head was throbbing. It was then, I realized that my arms and legs were tied to a chair, and that there were three other men in the room: Sam Miller and two men carrying guns. Well, I found the criminal organization. Yay, not.
"Kevin Mason, our little spy. I don't know what you know, but you know something. What were you doing in my office?" Jean said.
"I was just doing my routine inspection of the grounds, and when I checked your office, I saw that you had left the safe open. I just closed the safe and left. Uh, what exactly am I here for?" I replied.
"Sam, how many times do I have to tell you to close the safe!" Sam looked down and Jean went on, "Well, it doesn't matter anymore. He knows too much. Boys, we've just got ourselves a new lab rat."
They all seemed extremely pleased about this as the shorter of the gun-carrying men, who had a surprisingly deep voice, said, "Finally, we'll be able to get some working human results." Miss Matthews shot him a nasty look as she retrieved a vile and a needle. Oy, what have I gotten myself into this time? I started working on the ropes tying me to the chair.
"Good luck. I tied those myself." Sam said when he noticed what I was trying to do.
"That's a relief. Maybe now I have a chance of escape."
Sam's face changed to a grimace but was quickly replaced with a look of triumph that reflected on my impending doom. Jean rolled up my sleeve and prepared my left arm for her "test". She was a little rough taking off my watch, cutting herself and me.
"That's a nice watch you've got there." Matthews said.
"Yeah, if you could be a little more careful with that, I'd like to keep it." I replied.
"Don't worry, Mr. Mason. You won't need it where you're going."
Oh, joy. Jean tossed the watch to Sam who, to my great displeasure, tried it on exclaiming it was a perfect fit.
Jean rolled her eyes and said, "Sam, you can't keep it."
Then she injected the needle in my arm.
"Did it work?" the taller of the gun-carrying men who had a uh, unnaturally high voice said.
"Only one way to find out." short man. low voice said.
"Just untie him and stand him up against the wall. No need to bloody the chair." Sam said.
So, the two cronies (roughly) loosed my bonds and brought me to the wall. Tall, unnatural tossed his gun to Miller who was standing a couple feet in front of me.
"Any last words?" Miller asked a little too dramatically.
"Cheese."
BANG! I slumped to the floor, everything fading out.... Suddenly, I felt a burning, tingling sensation in my head, right where I was shot. I gingerly touched my forehead. There was no hole. Everyone looked as dazed as I imagined I looked, except for Miss Matthews. She had a look that I couldn't read. Taking advantage of the moment, I grabbed Short and Low's gun, smashed him in the face and quickly disposed of the rest of them; but as I turned to take care of Matthews, she had another look on her face. Was that relief? Bewildered, I pulled the trigger. I need fresh air. I stumbled out the nearest exit, pausing over Miller. I took my watch of his lifeless body. Matthews was right. You can't keep the watch.

Ahhh. The crisp night air flew threw my head. Well, not literally because the hole is gone, uh heh heh ehhhh. What in the world happened in there!? I called Astor and told him there were four dead people in Jean Matthews and Sam Miller's office at Genecorp.
"Get some rest and report to me in the morning, Agent. I'll send a team to take care of it."
Later in my apartment, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened to me. What did happen? I thought I was dead. I was dead. This will all get straightened out. Hopefully.

4 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

Ooh ...I cannot wait for the next part!

Excellent writing and I think that you are on the path to a tremendous career! Mrs. G

Portrait of Peter said...

Most unfortunate Agent X

I so wanted one of the geneticists, alive in particular Jean Matthews, as she intrigues me and could well have answered some of our more pressing questions.

As she was a non-smoker, my interrogation technique would have ensured she would have divulged the answers that have eluded us for so long.

We will now have to look at other alternatives, unless of course Agent X, you can identify the source?

Unknown said...

I hope those papers help you as well. This has pulled me in!

Anonymous said...

I really like this story! It's so suspensful! I absolutely can not wait for the second part!

-Anonymous